This Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream is an ice cream lovers dream, with just the right amount of mint flavor and little bits of chocolate.
1 cup whole milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
5 egg yolks
1 1/2 teaspoon pure peppermint extract or to taste
2 cups heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3-4 drops green food coloring
4 ounces 60% dark chocolate bar chopped into small pieces
1. In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the milk, salt, and half the sugar. Stir the mixture constantly as you bring it just to a simmer. Remove from heat.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar just until combined.
3. To temper the eggs, slowly add 1/2 cup of the milk mixture, in a drizzle, into the egg mixture. Do this slowly so as not to cook the eggs.
4. Pour the entire egg mixture back into the saucepan with the milk mixture. Heat over medium heat until thickened, about 3-5 minutes. Do not boil the mixture.
5. Remove the pot from the heat.
6. Pour the mixture into a heat-proof bowl and refrigerate for about two hours until cold. To avoid putting the hot mixture in the refrigerator, you can chill the bowl over another bowl filled with ice for 10-15 minutes to cool it down first.
7. After the mixture has completely cooled, stir in the peppermint extract, cream, vanilla, and food coloring. Pour the mixture into your ice cream maker, and churn according to the manufacturer's directions. After 5 minutes, add the chopped chocolate so it can blend into the ice cream.